Visual Guide: What a Child Needs
The What a Child Needs Visual Guide is a tool to help professionals explore neglect with families in an accessible format.
This PDF is accessible on laptops/devices or it can be printed.
Overview sheet (page 2):
- Provides an overview of key themes when exploring neglect of children.
- There is the potential to print and cut them out to make into cards. A blank card is offered to prompt exploration of additional themes.
Theme sheets (pages 3-14):
- Theme sheets provide pick and mix examples you can use to guide discussions with families. They do not provide an exhaustive list.
- Not all themes will be relevant to all families. They will need to be adapted depending on the audience, age, needs of the child and focus of discussions.
- Wording may not be accessible. Ambiguous terms and assumed knowledge needs to be fully explored with families to ensure there is a shared understanding.
- Where possible language is strength based and avoids a deficit led approach.
- A blank sheet is provided to support development of additional themes and/or active participation of families in discussions.