Hampshire Safeguarding Children Partnership’s (HSCP) Learning and Inquiry Group (LIG) requested that a task and finish group consider a piece of work regarding ‘Unidentified Adults’. This work was in response to a Serious Case Review which recommended that HSCP should work with practitioners across all partner agencies to explore the barriers to involving fathers in their practice and develop and action plan to address any findings from this work.
The Task and Finish Group ran between the following dates 12 January 2017 to 25 July 2017. The group was chaired by Kim Jones (the then Designated Nurse, of West & North Hampshire CCGs) and had contributions from the following members:
- Dr Sharon Kefford (Named GP, CCGs)
- Fiona Butt (Supervisor FNP, SHFT)
- Gilly Knight (Head of Housing Options, Winchester City Council)
- Karen Alexander (Governance Manager, Adult Services)
- Lisa Hogg (School Representative)
- Sam Smith (HSCP)
- Sheila Hodgkinson (Named Midwife, HHFT)
- Sue Kocaman (Area Director, Children’s Services)
The group has produced/undertaken the pieces of work which require approval from the HSCP:
- Working with Unidentified Adults – Best Practice Guide. This includes agency flow charts and ‘Top Tips’
- Recommended a tool for practitioners to use when working with children and families (included within the Best Practice Guide)
- Unidentified Adults Audit – Survey Monkey (multi-agency)
- Primary Care Audit
- Unidentified Adults – Slide Deck (Training materials for agencies and HSCP use)
- Poster for professionals and general public to promote Think Family / Unidentified Adults
Recommendations to the HSCP
1) Workforce Development Sub-Group to consider the findings of the Survey Monkey and consider the implications for HSCP training including the annual HSCP/HSAB Annual Conference.
2) HSCP to ratify the work which the Task and Finish Group has completed and utilise communication networks to disseminate and promote the ‘Best Practice Guide’ and training materials.
3) Additional findings and on-going pieces of work which have been identified as a result of the Task and Finish Group include:
- Registration Forms for Primary Care – Dr Sharon Kefford and Dr Jenny Rattray to continue this work under the auspices of the HSCP Health Sub-Group
- Registration Forms for School Entry – Lisa Hogg to continue this work under the auspices of the HSCP Education Sub-Group
4) To build on the findings from the Group and continue this work regarding ‘Unidentified Adults’ within the new Abusive Head Trauma Task and Finish Group.
5) Midwifery communication with Primary Care – The Health Sub-Group to consider the process for midwifery sharing information with Primary Care regarding who lives in the house with a pregnant woman. To be considered alongside the Portsmouth model.
6) The Task and Finish Group Members will reconvene for a catch up meeting six months following the ratification by HSCP to review progress against actions.