Home » FAQ


This section has been developed to provide answers to our most frequently asked questions. Please read the sections below and if the information you need cannot be found, please email us at hscp@hants.gov.uk. We aim to reply to all emails within 10 working days of receipt.

What training do I need for my role?

Individuals and organisations are responsible for determining their training needs. Please review our Learning & Development Policy to support you with identifying your training requirements. Unfortunately, HSCP is unable to recommend or endorse suitable training providers/courses. Therefore, a range of providers should be contacted to discuss your specific requirements. For nurseries and childminders, the Services for Young Children webpage provides useful information to support you in determining training requirements.

HSCP provides a fully-funded multi-agency training for members of staff who:

  • Deliver services/support/education to children (up to the age of 18)
  • Do not deliver services/support/education to children; however, may become aware of situations/conditions, through their day-to-day work, that could have an adverse impact on children.

Staff accessing our training courses should complete safeguarding training within their own organisation before booking a place.

Does HSCP multi-agency training align with Level 3 for health practitioners?

All of the HSCP training can be used as evidence against Level 3 of the Intercollegiate Document. However, it does not replace training delivered by your own organisation.

How do I book multi-agency training provided by HSCP?

All of our multi-agency courses are accessible via the Training page on our website. Bookings must be made online via self-service booking/Eventbrite.

What if the HSCP training courses are fully booked?

All bookings must be managed online via self-service booking/Eventbrite. We enable waiting lists for our courses; however, if this option is not available, this indicates that all wait list spaces have been taken. Please review our Training page for future courses, which are added at the point that venues and trainers have been confirmed.

I am a Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) within education. How do I access training?

Hampshire County Council Children’s Services provides training for DSLs and can be accessed via The Learning Zone. Enquiries regarding DSL training must be submitted to cs.nominations@hants.gov.uk

All DSLs can attend HSCP multi-agency training courses at no cost to further enhance their safeguarding knowledge and practice. HSCP also deliver three DSL conferences between June and July on an annual basis. These events, charged at £75 per delegate, count as annual refresher training for safeguarding children. These conferences can be accessed from our Training page.

Can you deliver training at my school/organisation?

The key benefit of HSCP training is the multi-agency element of the content and the attendance of professionals from a broad range of organisations. In light of our core statutory functions, we are unable to deliver training for single agencies/organisations/schools etc.

Where can I find the safeguarding children model policies for schools?

National statutory guidance, local resources, copies of model policies (including the Child Protection Policy and the Safeguarding Policy) and inspection frameworks that can be used as a foundation for your school policies can be found on the Safeguarding Children in Education section of the Hampshire County Council website.

I have a concern about an adult working with children in Hampshire

If you have a concern about a member of staff working with children (in either a paid or voluntary capacity), contact the Local Area Designated Officer (LADO) on 01962 876364

I have a concern about the safety and/or welfare of a Hampshire child

Members of the public should contact Hampshire Children’s Services: 0300 555 1384

Professionals should complete the online Interagency Referral Form. For urgent Child protection enquiries, professionals can phone: 01329 225379

In an emergency, call 999.

What checks to I need to carry out for volunteers and/or contractors working in my setting?

Annex F (Statutory guidance – Regulated activity (children) – Supervision of activity with children which is regulated activity when unsupervised) of Keeping Children Safe in Education states that the guidance: ‘gives local managers the flexibility to determine what is reasonable for their circumstances’. Therefore, schools need to review the guidance and decide on their local arrangements within the parameters of the regulations. Schools can require all adult volunteers to be DBS checked, or they can allow them all to be supervised.