Home » FAQ » Frequently Asked Questions – Other

Frequently Asked Questions – Other

Where can I find the safeguarding children model policies for schools?

National statutory guidance, local resources, copies of model policies (including the Child Protection Policy and the Safeguarding Policy) and inspection frameworks that can be used as a foundation for your school policies can be found on the Safeguarding Children in Education section of the Hampshire County Council website.

I have a concern about an adult working with children in Hampshire

If you have a concern about a member of staff working with children (in either a paid or voluntary capacity), contact the Local Area Designated Officer (LADO) on 01962 876364.

I have a concern about the safety and/or welfare of a Hampshire child

Members of the public should contact Hampshire Children’s Services: 0300 555 1384

Professionals should complete the online Interagency Referral Form. For urgent Child protection enquiries, professionals can phone: 01329 225379.

In an emergency, call 999.

What checks do I need to carry out for volunteers and/or contractors working in my setting?

Annex F (Statutory guidance – Regulated activity (children) – Supervision of activity with children which is regulated activity when unsupervised) of Keeping Children Safe in Education states that the guidance: ‘gives local managers the flexibility to determine what is reasonable for their circumstances’. Therefore, schools need to review the guidance and decide on their local arrangements within the parameters of the regulations. Schools can require all adult volunteers to be DBS checked, or they can allow them all to be supervised.

We are a small organisation who run workshops and activities for children in Hampshire, what are my responsibilities in terms of safeguarding?

If you are offering workshops aimed at children, then like any other voluntary youth / faith organisation, you would need to have a Child Protection Policy, some level of training and a strategic safeguarding lead as per Working Together 2018.

The Child Protection Policy should include:

  • Setting expectations
  • Recognition of signs and indicators
  • Dealing with disclosures
  • Recording and reporting
  • Operational safeguarding lead to receive reports and make referrals as needed

Hampshire Children’s Services have a model Child Protection Policy for schools which can be adapted for your own activities and settings.

You should familiarise yourself with how to report a concern. This includes concerns regarding the safety or welfare of a child (up to 18) and regarding staff who may have behaved in a way that places a child at risk. This would be via the children’s services department of where the family live. If it’s a serious immediate risk, call 999 or 101.